Singers in YCNS ensembles learn diverse and challenging repertoire in a warm, joy-filled environment. They receive instruction in note reading, musical vocabulary, and techniques to enhance the expressive capacity of their singing. They also focus on vocal training to help develop breath and pitch control, proper vowel placement, and healthy singing habits.
YCNS ensembles perform throughout the community and enjoy social outings and activities.
[ah-leh-GREE-ah] Spanish for "joy"
Our select ensemble for 2nd - 5th graders is for children who love to sing, can match pitch, and want to be part of a weekly choral group.
Alegría rehearses on Wednesdays from 4:30-5:45pm.
[may-RAH-kee] Modern Greek for "the soul, creativity, or love you put into doing something"
Our advanced ensemble for 4th - 8th graders is for young artists who have a passion for singing and who are ready for more challenging repertoire.
Meraki rehearses on Wednesdays from 5:00pm-6:30pm.
Audition now to join us in the fall!
At the audition, singers will:
- be greeted warmly in a relaxed, encouraging environment.
- sing a song of their choice. (It can even be "Happy Birthday.")
- sing back musical phrases that are sung to them.
- demonstrate what they know about reading music. (The ability to read music is not a prerequisite for joining.)
Please write email@example.com to schedule a summer audition.
- NO CHILD IS TURNED AWAY DUE TO FINANCIAL NEED. Generous need based scholarships and payment plans are available.
- $567 tuition. Fee includes rehearsals from September 2019 - May 2020.
- Sibling discount: 20%
September 2019 - May 2020:
- Alegría rehearses on Wednesdays from 4:30-5:45pm.
- Meraki rehearses on Wednesdays from 5:00pm-6:30pm.
303 Dodge Avenue
Evanston, IL 60202
Performances & Experiences
- Fall Retreat for singers at Northminster Presbyterian Church: October 5, 2018
- Social outing to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the Oriental Theater: October 20, 2018
- Winter Recital: December 9, 2018, 2pm @ JRC - Free & open to the public
- Performance for the residents of Westminster Place, Evanston: December 12, 2018
- Carol singing for the St. A Café Soup Kitchen, Evanston: December 23, 2018
- Performing the National Anthem at NU Women’s Basketball Game vs. Purdue: January 13, 2019
- Performance and workshop for students in the Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center after school program: March 6, 2019
- Performance and Fundraiser at Potbelly Sandwich Shop, Skokie: March 20, 2019 - open to the public
- Interdisciplinary workshop with professional juggler, Jason Kollum, on our theme of "Balance." April 17, 2019
- Spring Recital: May 19, 2019, 4pm @ JRC - Free & open to the public
- Performance at the Evanston Public Library, Community Meeting Room, May 22, 2019, 4:45pm - Free & open to the public
- Performance with the Canadian Chamber Choir: October 14, 2017 @ Trinity United Methodist Church, Wilmette
- Winter Recital: January 28, 2018, 4pm @ JRC
- Performance for the residents of Westminster Place, Evanston: February 7, 2018
- Interdisciplinary workshop with artist, Jill King, on our theme of "Shadows." February 28, 2018
- Sing and Share Musical Exchange with Anima – Glen Ellyn Children’s Chorus and The Fort Wayne Children’s Chorus, March 3, 2018
- SingFest participation for 4th-6th graders: April 21, 2018 in Elmhurst, IL
- Spring Recital: May 6, 2018, 4pm @ JRC - Free & open to the public
- Performance at the Evanston Public Library, Community Meeting Room, May 9, 2018, 4:45pm - Free & open to the public
- Performance for the residents of Orchard Village, Skokie, May 16, 2018
- Winter Recital: January 29, 2017, 4pm @ JRC
- Community Performance: March 8, 2017, 4:45pm @ the Evanston Public Library
- SingFest participation for 4th and 5th graders: March 18, 2017 in Elmhurst, IL
- Spring Recital: May 17, 2017, 6pm @ JRC